this is a blog about riding bikes designed for human bodies. i'm a sparsely educated enthusiast and i don't claim to be expert in any of the things i'm spouting off about. here are my credentials:

biking: i've commuted by bike with varying degrees of commitment since high school. for the last several years i'm finally riding year-round. rain pants, you are my hero! i've never owned my own car and i've never once driven myself to work.

ergonomics/biomechanics: i studied alexander technique for about a year (many many years ago). i have also learned a lot about body mechanics through trainings at work. finally, i am an upright biped.



Thursday, October 28, 2010

love that speedy bike!

on the way to school with my littles yesterday, i got a flat. i had plenty of time to go home and patch it, but then managed to break off the presta valve-tip inside my pump. flat re-flattened.

so i had to leave my (spuose's) Rans Fusion* in the garage and ride my slow bike - a slightly upgraded/modified Electra Townie. the townie runs on wider lower-pressure tires and outweighs the fusion by almost 10lbs.

i'm often pleased with how quick the fusion feels, but it's been a while since i commuted on the townie. what is usually a 26-29 minute ride took me 36 minutes. dang. and the ride in today on the re-tubed fusion felt like flying. just wait 'til i get my Rans Zenetik Pro** (or come up with a design idea that isn't too ridiculous for Dave at Velvet to consider building).

and while i'm talking about speed, i have to confess that i've dropped closer to the middle of the pack. as the rain sets in and the more casual riders hang up the dubz for the season, i find i'm getting passed almost as often as i pass somene. maybe a ratio of two-to-three. humbling.


*27lbs
**19lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment