this is a blog about riding bikes designed for human bodies. i'm a sparsely educated enthusiast and i don't claim to be expert in any of the things i'm spouting off about. here are my credentials:

biking: i've commuted by bike with varying degrees of commitment since high school. for the last several years i'm finally riding year-round. rain pants, you are my hero! i've never owned my own car and i've never once driven myself to work.

ergonomics/biomechanics: i studied alexander technique for about a year (many many years ago). i have also learned a lot about body mechanics through trainings at work. finally, i am an upright biped.



Thursday, October 14, 2010

bring the kids along

one of this blog's myriad followers asked about the compatibility of these unusually-shaped bikes with trail-a-bikes. i emailed three companies and two responded within about an hour. try getting that turn-around time from a big company!

anyway, the contact from day6 is looking into it and will get back to me.

the contact from lightfoot had this to say:

"We have made adapters to pull trail-a-bikes behind our Lightfoot recumbents, using the 4-point attachment built into our cycles. One of our customers pulls her daughter behind a Lightfoot Smoothie bike, and has had good success and appears to have good control. It is my assumption (as yet unproven) that our taller Ranger bike would have even more control.
We have also pulled trail-a-bikes behind our trikes."

2 comments:

  1. Great picture! Keep me posted on what you find out. I don't think I would want one of the lower to the ground recumbants - I was looking at the ergonomic bikes that are more like yours. A lot of the parents at Trillium are riding the upright bikes that have the built in wooden seat behind them, but I'm more interested in being able to take the child carrying feature off of my bike when not toting kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah - those xtra cycles are just too specialized. the trail-a-bike seems much more practical. when you're sans-kid, you just take it off. the xtra becomes part of your bike, with a chain extension and everything. unless you're pretty mechanically savvy, you need a mechanic to put it on and take it off. not to mention that that wide board doesn't look like something i'd want to sit on. i'm an all-around anti-fan.

    ReplyDelete